Friday, March 14, 2008

Bad Motherfucker Of The Week:
Buster Martin


I should begin by noting that, unlike most posts, which are rife with exaggeration and any line of BS that I think might make a given topic funnier, every detail of this edition of BMFOTW is entirely factual.  There's simply nothing that I could add to this story to make it better than it actually is (and believe me, I tried).  So, for today, and today only, I lay my lily-guilding tools aside, and pay tribute to the Bad Motherfucker that is Buster Martin.  Just the facts:

-Last weekend, the 101-year-old Martin completed the London Half-Marathon in just over five hours.

-He would've finished sooner, but for his mid-race ritual of stopping for a pint of beer and a cigarette.  Buster loves running, "but not as much as I love my beer." *

-Martin already holds world records for oldest competitor in a 5K, 10K and half-marathon race, and plans to become the world's oldest marathoner when he runs the London Marathon next month.

-He is the father of 17 children, but laments:  "Pity I didn't have any more kids." *

-Buster sings with a rock band called The Zimmers, whose members' combined ages total over 3000.  The group had a hit single last year, covering The Who's "My Generation".

-He wears the iconic wolfman beard and trucker hat ensemble favored by distance running legends.

God Speed, Buster Martin.  You, sir, are truly a Bad Motherfucker.


Special thanks to Schultzilla for the tip on this one.

*(ABC News)

1 comment:

Kellie Coughlin said...

Now that is one BMFOTW...101 years old? Beer? Cigarette? Marathon? 17 kids? Yeesh!